Friday, May 16, 2008

Second chance in life

Do you believe in fate or destiny? Many don't I guess. Let me tell you about my accident that I had in 1997. It was a pretty bad accident, where I had my Suzuki Vitara smashed into a parked sky lift crane on the emergency lane at the Federal Highway in Petaling Jaya.

I was working everyday of the week until maybe 10 or 11 p.m. as I was involved in the Sub-structure work at the Mandarin Oriental at KLCC(Twin Towers), but my site never stops as the earthwork for the 4 level of basement excavation starts at 7 p.m. till 7 a.m. and I usually hope that nothing untoward happens at this time of the day.

Getting back to my fateful day, it was a Friday and I was pretty tired and wanted to leave at 9 p.m., just then my colleague called me over for a quick drink at a pub close by the site, so I hopped in and had a mug of beer and since I was feeling tired, I left after a drink (I wasn't drunk with a mug!).

While driving back home on the highway, I was rather unusually tired and it was only 10 p.m., still early according to me. Then all of sudden I got up with a bang, my honk was blaring and my chest was paining. Oh, my God I smashed my SUV onto something and I didn't know what it was, I know I wasn't speeding. I got out of the car, to see that I had smashed onto a parked crane, and no one was injured.

My SUV was a total wreck and I was shivering from the sight of the accident, one side of the SUV was totally smashed, my windscreen was broken and the left hand side light was smashed, there were glass pieces everywhere.

Thank God, I was wearing my safety belt, and it was snapped due to the impact and I also had my front tooth, slightly chipped. Within minutes, the tow truck was there, the police car came with a siren and a large crowd of onlookers had gathered around the accident site. They were surprised that I was standing among them and I was still okay.

The car had to be towed away and after talking to the policeman, the tow truck company guys send me back home.

Now when I think back on the incident, I think to myself, I am sure a guardian angel would have protected me. I know of cases where a car knocks into a tree and the driver dies after his head knocks on something, but I slept in my car and it stopped by itself after ramming into a parked crane. Even if I had died, I guess it would have been an extended sleep for me.

Isn't that a second change in life that I am getting from upstairs?

©sukku2008

No comments: